Self Care seems to be the ‘in’ thing in 2020. Looking after one’s self. But what does it really mean to you?
Self–care is any activity that we do deliberately in order to take care of our mental, emotional, and physical health. Although it’s a simple concept in theory, it’s something we very often overlook. Good self–care is key to improved mood and reduced anxiety.
Why should you begin to look after yourself?
As women, we are busy with day activities of looking after the children, the partner, the dog, cat, budgie everyone but yourself. We are quick to please others, and do not think about ourselves.
We sometimes find it so hard to say NO.
We never seem to get any ME time, or GIRLIE time and invariably our health and mental health suffers.
Time for you to get selfish and begin to say NO to a few things, in order to say YES to looking after YOU.
So what can you do to advocate self-care?
- Sleep, does so much to help our body heal, our mind wind down, and recharge our being for the following day. It is important as we all know to get at least minimum 6.5 hours in each night. It must be good quality sleep, so try winding down an hour or so before bed, by turning off your phone or tablet, reading or listening to the radio or music instead.
- Exercise is just as important for our physical well being and also for our mental wellbeing as well as our health. Lack of exercise is what makes us feel tired, lethargic and sluggish. Make sure you are getting at least 150 minutes of exercise each week. Do something you love, be it walking, hiking, dancing or some activity to make you move for 30 – 45 minutes per day. What ever it is enjoy it.
- Eating Well is also key to taking care of yourself. Too often we rush around, thinking we don’t have time or money to eat nutritious food. The reality is you either plan ahead, or look consciously for a healthy option when you are out and about. There are so many healthy eateries and takeaways now, LEON for one is great for those who want a gluten free and vegan option on the go. When we eat to much junk food, it has a detrimental effect on our health so stay well away.
- Meditation is a great way to unwind your mind and destress. It clears your head and the mind chatter going on inside it. If you are not sure how to meditate, try the ‘headspace’ app or ‘insight timer’ They have guided meditations that can help you unwind.
- Take up YOGA yes, this not only helps with giving you a work out and more flexibility, but it also helps with breathing, destressing and is important aspect of self care. it helps all round with MIND, SPIRIT and BODY
- Work in Family & Friends Time Life is too short, and sometimes we need to appreciate our friends and family more. Spending time with your loved ones should not be an after thought or a chore, you shouldn’t feel guilty neither of work over your loved ones, they should come first.
- Treat yourself, yes you heard me right, too often we neglect ourselves. When was the last time you had a manicure or pedicure, or a lovely SPA day or Massage? At least once a month give yourself some me time, to go all out and pamper yourself, give yourself some self love. You deserve it!
- Get a Coach or Accountability Partner, someone who you can go to, when you feel stuck, or neglected. A Coach can help you review areas in your life that may need ‘clearing’, there may be something that is limiting you from being creative, from being the best version of you there is, and having someone to go to, can help release your frustrations, give you different ways of seeing things, help you release your own ideas to help you progress forward.
- Don’t give up on your dreams, we all should have goals and dreams, but something always gets in the way, life, family, work. So many of us try really hard and end up as ‘people pleasers’. We just have to keep our dreams in focus, and remember to be selfish and say NO if we have to, but equally day YES when it feels right to do so.
- Stay away from drama and negativity, definitely not needed in anyone’s life, as this only brings stress and unhappiness. Learn to let go of what you cannot control, and just go with what you know you can.
- Speak LIFE into yourself, never speak bad about yourself, you are an amazing Queen, and you should always speak positively to yourself. Your whole body listens to what you are telling it, so make sure it is positive, confident and reassured of its ability and greatness that you can achieve.
- Trust in yourself, trust your instincts. Many of us have this within us but many refuse to listen to what your ‘gut’ tells you about situations. Did you know your ‘gut’ is your second brain? So when they say, there is something in my ‘gut’ that does not feel right, you are listening to your ‘instincts’ because your body is warning you about something imminent.
Self Care is a must on your TO DO list, and should not be ignored. If you want to know how working with me, can help you discover your purpose, and find a balance between work, home and looking after number one, then feel free to sign up for more information below.